Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My Knight and Shining Armor

Let me tell you a story...

One day I ventured out on a mile and a half walk with a one year old and a three month old in a front pack. It was a hot summer day, beautiful, but hot. We played at the little park by our house, our destination, and headed back home. This was a spontaneous walk. We had all been outside as a family and I just took the kids while Kyle worked in the yard. So we had no water or snacks.

We made our way back, no problems. Eliana was asleep in the carrier and my little man, John, next to me in my hand. His little legs were working hard. By the time we left the trail and got onto the sidewalk little one year old John had had enough and wanted to be carried. Yet I had an infant attached to the front of me. Not to mention John was one but approaching two and was not the lightest of children. There was no way I was going to be able to carry him. He started to cry.

Then he started to scream. At this time he was now dropping his body weight to the ground as cars were driving by. Meanwhile I look like a crazy person dragging a toddler against his will. All I needed to do was get home about three blocks away. I started to sweat. It was hot. The screams were echoing through the trees. I just needed to get home...

When all of a sudden I see this glorious man running down the sidewalk towards me. His stride was coming at me on a mission, a mission to save me. This was my Knight and Shining Armor, my Husband. He had heard my distress, or John's, and made his way to me. With one big swoop he picked up the crying toddler, with a smile so big that it twinkled. We made our way back home with no issues, thanks to my amazing relief, my Husband.

I will never forget that day, I will never forget how he didn't just ignore my distress but ran to find us. Ran to help us, help me. He's that kind of guy, that kind of Dad and that kind of Husband. He truly is amazing.

So this particular day last week reminded me of that story...

We took a walk to the park nearby, something we do often. The weather was particularly awesome as spring has just started to really bloom around here. Kyle was going to mow the lawn so I decided to take a walk with the kids. I grabbed my purse over my shoulder, filled up my water bottle and grabbed some little oranges. I took each child by a hand and made our walk to the park.









They played very hard. It was warm out and the whole neighborhood was out playing. It was such a wonderful day, I could feel the heat from the sun on my skin, warming up my soul. The kids played great too! Eliana learned how to climb up on the car all by herself as well as get really sturdy on the little playground. It was really amazing to watch actually. I was so proud of her!

We made our way back and everyone was warm at this point. The kids were tired from playing. But particularly Eliana. 

It was on the same stretch of road, between our house and the trail entrance, that Eliana was now the one whose legs could no longer keep up. She wanted me to pick her up. I tried but she is very heavy and holding her with one arm, with another arm holding Johns hand, was not working out. I told her she had to walk. She is one, going on two very soon.

She began to cry. Then she began to scream and drop her body weight. The little girl had had enough of the heat and exhausted her little body on the playground with new skills involving all of her muscles capacity. She was walking beside me but not by her own will and not quietly. I just needed to get home...

Then out of no where this guy comes running down the side walk. I couldn't tell, and I actually thought it was a highschooler running track, they run by our house. The guy got closer. It was my Knight and Shining Armor! With a big smile he picked up the exhausted little girl and we all walked home. She was so much happier after that, resting her head on Daddy's shoulder.

We played in the backyard a little while longer and got nice and hydrated. She was obviously just fine after a rest in Daddy's arms...



I will never forget my husbands heroic actions. He truly is my hero in so many ways, always managing to save me from something!

No comments:

Post a Comment