Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Victory Hike!

Victory! And I'm not taking about the Seahawks, even though they had a victory of their own and are heading to the Superbowl! No I'm talking about my victorious hike. I was hiking as the game was starting.

On Sunday after church we came home and put the kids down for a nap after having some lunch. Immediately after, my sister and I raced out the door with our girlfriend to go hiking. We drove out there together and made it in enough time to complete the hike in daylight hours.

I was so nervous for this hike. On our way home from church I was telling Kyle how I wasn't excited because I was going with two girls that hit the gym every day and are in incredible shape. And here I am, haven't done more than walking in years, two c-sections and ton of weight put on in the last three years of being pregnant and nursing. I told him there was no way that I was going to make it to the top. And Kyle who is usually pretty neutral and a super great listener told me, "Well you sure won't with that attitude! You need to change your attitude. It would be more embarrassing if you didn't go. You can do it. Enjoy getting outside." It was a good pep talk as I slumped in my seat knowing what he said was true. Here I was about to embark on a hike knowing I would be dripping with sweat and afraid to not be able to complete it. I have gone on this hike more times than I can count. There are three look out points of the water falls and its scenic along the whole way. I have only made it to the top one other time, the times I didn't were because I was with a group of small kids or because we were pressed for time. The only other time I had made it to the top was when I was pregnant with John, believe it or not!

I told the girls that I might be slow and to please accommodate me. They were of course being so sweet to me and telling me that its not a problem at all and encouraged me. But as we hiked it was not nearly as awful as I thought. I was totally sweating and breathing hard but I was keeping up really well. It is up hill all the way. It's a 1200 ft elevation gain on the way up and 5.5 miles round trip. Its a decent hike, I've done a lot harder but its a really nice day hike with great views. The last stretch is the hardest with the most intense elevation gain and that is the one time that I totally slowed down and my legs ached as they climbed each step. But I made it to the top! I made it! I was so proud of myself! It was the most self rewarding thing I have done in a long time! I was so happy to have completed it and it took hard work to do it which makes it feel even better. Making it to the top gave me a self confidence boost that I have been needing to complete my weight loss journey. I even felt to good as to run on the way down! Not all the way but a good little stretch.


The girls and I
My sister looking over the river
Beautiful trees
Tanya and I

Northwest beauty

It was a victorious day for me because I haven't completed this hard of a hike since my pregnancy with Eliana. John's first summer we hiked a lot with him in the carrier and this last summer Eliana was way to tiny for the pack. So this is the first time I've hiked since I had Eliana. I have a long journey ahead of me with weight loss and getting myself back to my healthier self. The other night at the gym my sister and I stepped onto the scale. I had only lost a pound and my sister was giving me praise. I was like "oh yeah one pound, only ** more to go!" and she said, "you have to start somewhere". And isn't that the truth! What good advice. This felt like my start. This hike gave me a huge boost to moral that I needed and I can say I felt victorious!

Oh and I did make it home in time to watch the last two quarters of the Seahawks winning game!

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good experience on your hike! I'm sure that felt great..you can do whatever you set your mind to!

    -Liv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liv! I was talking on the hike how much I missed my friends who motivate me. You and Angela were those friends! Miss having you here and your encouraging nature!

      Delete
  2. Nice work!!! I know how hard getting started on reaching weight loss goals can be. Helps so much to have the support of friends and family. This is inspiring for me to hear so I can set some goals for myself! Thanks for sharing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete